1891: The 49 day wonder of 1891 was brand new and somewhat large, but it was not the "palatial residence" with the decorative balconies, the turret, and the "gingerbread" trim that visitors to the Lund-Hoel House Museum admire today. Those appealing architectural enhancements were added to Lund's original house nine years later when whopping real estate sales by the Lund Land Agency made John G. famous throughout the state and a bona fide millionaire.
John G. Lund's "49 Day" House of 1891 stayed as it was for only a short time before workmen, painters, and carpenters were again summoned to improve the residence.
1895: Although it was considered extravagant, and by many as foolish, a gas plant was installed in the basement of Lund's house, and so in 1895 the dwelling was lighted not by kerosene lamps but by gas. Four years after its construction, painters reapplied the familiar, dark green color of its original paint color.
1896: Carpenters added on the uncomfortably small, rear rooms known as servants quarters.
1900: "J. G. Lund is building quite extensively onto his residence this summer." So states the Canby News on 10 August 1900. Porches, balconies, decorative trim and a turret were added as well as many square feet of living space. The "landmark" fence of "hardheads" (field stones) appeared in the summer of 1990. "This stone is odd yet there is a charm about it which tends to make its surroundings home-like and unique." ~Canby News (These additions are not on the below black & white photos)
1901: During this summer Lund laid cement walks on two sides of his yards as well as through a portion of "Lund Park," half a village block or more of garden planted to the west of the house.
1903: "Last week J. G. Lund sold his beautiful green Canby residence to Rev Olaf Hoel of the Norwegian Lutheran Church." `Canby News Mr. Lund's daughter is the Reverend's wife, with the home passing to their daughter Nella in 1931. The house stays in the original family until 1958.
Although John Lund, his wife, & his dogs are on both pictures, the windmill is different, which may indicate 2 different time frames. Mrs Lund looks down from the balcony on the right picture. Larger servant's quarters and some remodeling are added to the back of the house after these pictures were taken.
Today: The house is maintained in its original turn of the century Victorian elegance.