Rules for Teachers 1872
Teachers will fill the lamps and clean the chimney each day.
Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day's session.
Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual tastes of the pupils.
Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.
After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
Women teacher who marry or engage in improper conduct will be dismissed.
Every teacher should lay aside from each day's pay a goodly sum of his earnings. He should use his savings during his retirement years so that he will not become a burden on society.
Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, visits pool halls or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop, will give good reasons for people to suspect his worth, intentions, and honesty.
The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay.
Rules for Teachers 1915
1. YOU WILL NOT MARRY DURING THE TERM OF YOUR CONTRACT.
2. YOU ARE NOT TO KEEP COMPANY WITH MEN.
3. YOU MUST BE HOME BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8PM AND 6AM UNLESS ATTENDING A SCHOOL FUNCTION.
4. YOU MAY NOT LOITER DOWNTOWN IN ICE CREAM STORES.
5. YOU MAY NOT TRAVEL BEYOND THE CITY LIMITS UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PERMISSION OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD.
6. YOU MAY NOT RIDE IN A CARRIAGE OR AUTOMOBILE WITH ANY MAN UNLESS HE IS YOUR FATHER OR BROTHER.
7. YOU MAY NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES.
8. YOU MAY NOT DRESS IN BRIGHT COLOURS.
9. YOU MAY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DYE YOUR HAIR.
10. YOU MUST WEAR AT LEAST TWO PETTICOATS.
11. YOUR DRESSES MUST NOT BE ANY SHORTER THAN TWO INCHES ABOVE THE ANKLE.
12. TO KEEP THE SCHOOL ROOM NEAT AND CLEAN, YOU MUST: SWEEP THE FLOOR AT LEAST ONCE DAILY, SCRUB THE FLOOR AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK WITH HOT SOAPY WATER, CLEAN THE BLACKBOARDS AT LEAST ONCE A DAY AND START THE FIRE AT 7 AM SO THE ROOM WILL BE WARM BY 8AM.